Position: Community Arts Program Assistant
Organization: Community Arts Guild
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Start Date: June 24, 2019
Pay: $16 per hour, 30 hours per week
Term: This is a 9-week contract position from June 24 to August 30, 2019
The Community Arts Guild makes art of all sorts with diverse artists and residents in Scarborough: connecting those separated from each other because of distance, language, income, age, culture and/or ability; inviting everyone, especially those who face barriers to participation; discovering and celebrating the traditions we all bring along; and building inclusive community through artmaking. communityartsguild.ca
The Community Arts Program Assistant will work with the Community Arts Guild at Cedar Ridge Creative Centre and other partner sites in East Scarborough to aid in delivering participatory arts activities to diverse local residents. They will assist with the preparation and presentation of UNFOLDING, an immersive, community-engaged theatre production about histories and stories of East Scarborough, as well as other arts workshops with partner groups. This position is for 30 hours per week, with flexibility in scheduling; daytime, with some evenings and weekends.
Cedar Ridge Creative Centre, 225 Confederation Drive, partner sites in east Scarborough including many outdoor locations.
Skills and experience:
- Self-directed and reliable
- Organized, good attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a flexible, collaborative work environment
- Enjoys working outdoors and in parks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, enjoys working with people
- Respect for diverse people and communities, committed to working towards inclusion and equity
- Experience and/or training in Performing or Visual Arts, Technical Theatre, Community Arts, or Arts Administration is preferred
- Community outreach and costumer service experience is an asset
- G-class license is an asset
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Participate in project planning
- Join in prep, setup and strike of art activities
- Assist with facilitation, welcoming members of the public and helping them engage with the art activities, and assist artists leading workshops
- Provide extra support to children, seniors, youth and people with disabilities to better integrate them into activities and make the activities more accessible
- Help with outreach: calling regular participants, social media posting, email, flyering
- Contribute to the development and implementation of our theatre performance through creative activities
- Notetaking, data entry including fieldnotes for workshops and activities, consent forms, attendance records and maintaining our contact database
- Assist with documentation and evaluation of our projects
- Other tasks as assigned
This position is supported by the Canada Summer Jobs program. As specified in the program requirements, the successful candidate:
– is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
– is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* and;
– is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. Contact us if you require accommodations in the interview/hiring process.
How to apply:
Please send a two-page resume and one-page cover letter outlining your skills, experience and what you feel you’d bring to our team. Please include phone and email contact details. Please email documents in PDF format to: email@example.com
Applications must be received by Tuesday May 21, 2019.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We are not able to discuss the position over the phone, but we will email to confirm that we have received your application. Thanks for your interest and understanding.